Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Hey repair shops I know I have a crappy car but don't take me for a ride!

OK here's the story. I'm not really sure if anyone else drives a crusty old car, but I do. A 1997 Honda Civic to be exact. Usually not a big problem but my beloved Civic does get me nightmares sometimes.


Recently I have had two bouts of repairs that had to be done. Now I consider myself at least semi-mechanically inclined, but my knowledge about cars is limited. I know the basics and can normally understand most things if they are explained about my car. Whenever I go into the repair shop, I feel like one of those bad dreams I used to have. You know the one, like you registered for a class in college and forgot to drop it, and now you have to go take the final. You walk in and start to sweat, feeling like everyone knows you don't belong there.

That's how I feel in the garage. I will just go ahead and admit it, I don't know that much about auto repair. I always feel like the mechanic is onto me. Like he and his buddies got together and are trying to see how far they can push it. I feel like a victim when he asks the mechanic how much his repairs will be and the mechanic replies how much you got while swinging his wrench. Can't someone create a website that tells you if you are getting rooked on your repairs or not. I need this. If anyone who reads this(which I think is no one) has auto knowledge, then I need you to be my phone-a-friend lifeline. Every time my car makes a funny noise my palms start to sweat. They sweat even more when I realize that I have to go have this fixed at my friendly neighborhood auto "care" shop.

I can't go on living like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment